Halloween is not just for the kids anymore – Adults want to get in on the fun too!
Millions of adults will host or attend parties this weekend, celebrating the spooky, ghostly spirit of Halloween. Many of these festivities will include alcohol, with party-goers enjoying booze with their boos! If alcohol is part of your celebration, we urge you to drink responsibly and choose a designated driver. Make responsible decisions to keep yourself and those around you safe.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that in 2015, 52% of all highway fatalities across the nation on Halloween night involved a driver or motorcycle rider who were under the influence of alcohol. Please take the steps necessary to help prevent this statistic from repeating itself in 2016.
Before you begin your celebrations, please review our Halloween party planning safety tips:
- Designate a sober driver in advance. If you are the designated driver, don't drink.
- If you are hosting a party, have non-alcoholic options available. The designated drivers and non-drinkers need to have something to choose besides booze.
- If you are attending a party, plan ahead. Have a game plan for your way home, leave car keys at home, and plan ahead to NOT drink and drive.
- Use smartphone apps like Uber or Lyft.
- If you have been drinking, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, use a rideshare company, or use public transportation to get home safely.
- If you are the host, assist your guests with safe options for getting home. Help them make other arrangements to get home safely, call them a cab, or let them crash at your place if necessary.
- Even if you are not drinking, try to avoid driving through residential areas where children might be trick-or-treating. Be very aware and attentive to children in the street. Be extra cautious.
We urge you to understand what is at stake if you choose to drink and drive:
- Driving under the influence puts at risk your own life and the lives of others. Consequences can be fatal.
- You could also be looking at large fines, jail time, drivers' license suspension, and the long term impacts of a criminal record. Please see our prior post for a list of the current penalties and fines for DUI convictions in Washington State
- Employment, relationships, and immigration status are other areas that can be adversely affected
Dellino Law Group: DUI Attorney
If you do find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being charged with DUI, please contact us immediately. Our law firm prides itself on providing personalized legal services to all of our clients. Having one of our dedicated DUI attorneys representing you in your DUI defense can alleviate a lot of the stress you will be feeling after being arrested for DUI. Knowing that our experienced DUI attorneys are working to ensure all of your legal rights are protected and fighting to have your charges reduced or even dismissed can lift a very heavy weight off of your shoulders.