Contact us 24/7 206-659-6839

The DLG Blog


Posted by Michelle Dellino | Mar 18, 2015 | 0 Comments

Criminal record expungement2

Everyone makes mistakes and the hope is that we can learn from our mistakes and from the subsequent consequences. Unfortunately, there are some mistakes that are accompanied by consequences that far exceed the duration of the punishment. This is the case with criminal convictions.

A conviction on your criminal record can resurface when you least expect it, potentially preventing you from obtaining certain jobs, housing, public assistance, or even the right to vote. Fortunately, in Washington State there exists a Motion to Vacate Conviction. This enables the opportunity for certain misdemeanor and felony convictions to be vacated from your criminal record. People often ask about getting records “expunged” or “cleared”, but in Washington State what they are really doing is vacating a conviction. When a conviction is vacated, the guilty plea that was originally entered is withdrawn, a not guilty plea is entered, and the charge is dismissed. That is the practical application and the language that appears in the court order when your conviction is vacated.

There are certain criteria that must be met in Washington State for misdemeanor and felony convictions to be vacated.

For your misdemeanor to be vacated:

  • You must not have any new criminal charges in either State or Federal courts
  • Your case must have been closed for at least three years (five years for domestic violence)
  • You must not have had a conviction vacated in the past
  • You must not have a no-contact order or anti-harassment protection order held against you
  • For both misdemeanor and felonies, any conviction of a “violent offense” may not be vacated.

For your felony conviction to be vacated:

  • You must not have any pending State or Federal charges
  • You must not have been convicted of a “crime against a person”
  • You must not have been convicted of another offense since the date of the discharge
  • At least five years must have passed for a class C felony or 10 years for a class B felony
  • For both misdemeanor and felonies, any conviction of a “violent offense” may not be vacated.

Mistakes are a part of life for all of us, but that does not mean we should be forever burdened by them. A misdemeanor or felony conviction can result in severe long-term consequences.

Our experienced criminal defense attorneys can help assist you in having your criminal record vacated in the Seattle area, including Tacoma, Bellevue, Federal Way, Kent, Poulsbo, Everett, Kenmore, Puyallup, Port Orchard, and all of King County, Pierce County, Snohomish County, Kitsap County, and Thurston County.

Please contact us today for a Free Consultation.

About the Author

Michelle Dellino

Michelle Dellino is the Managing Attorney of Dellino Law Group. The firm was founded on her belief that there is, very simply, a solution to every problem. Her personal practice focuses on complex family law matters including high conflict cases; high asset and long term marriage dissolution; cases involving business owners, IT, and medical professionals; domestic violence family law; and preparing cohabitation, prenuptial, and postnuptial agreements. Both a trained mediator and former criminal trial attorney, she has the skills and experience to take a case anywhere it needs to go, whether that is a creative settlement or intensive courtroom litigation. In her free time she chases her four dogs and two cats, loves the New York Yankees because mediocrity is not tolerated in pinstripes, and travels as often as she can.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

This is the Next Step in your life

You have done the research, you are tired of waiting, and you are ready to move forward with this process. The next step is to meet with our team to learn your rights and options for moving forward with your life. If you’re ready, click the ‘call us’ button now and put the process safely in your attorney’s hands today.Call or Text